solaris fixes

dwd at ihgp.ih.lucent.com dwd at ihgp.ih.lucent.com
Wed Sep 23 16:29:39 CEST 1998

On Sep 23, 12:46pm, Werner Koch wrote:
> Brian Warner <warner at lothar.com> writes:
> >
> >  checks/mds.test: the $(foo) syntax requires bash. Using `foo` works fine
> >                   in this case because there are no really weird shell
> >                   expansions inside.
>
> Done.  And I learned that Solaris does not have a POSIX shell.

Solaris /bin/sh doesn't support $(foo) but /bin/ksh does.  On Irix 6.5,
even though /bin/ksh and /bin/sh are linked together, that $(foo) syntax
is one of the few things that are deliberately disabled when /bin/sh is
invoked.

Another FYI: I found that the "-rdynamic" flag is not recognized on
Solaris gcc by default.  Instead, with a gcc that is configured to use
GNU's assembler and linker, I had to use -Wl,-export-dynamic which is
apparently what -rdynamic translates into on Linux.  Without that,
the --load-extension feature doesn't work.  On the other hand, if
gcc is configured to use the Solaris assembler and linker, --load-extension
works even though -rdynamic is ignored.  Brian told me that many gcc
installations on Solaris that he's familiar with are configured to
use the Solaris assembler and linker by default.  It was not that way
on my system, but I could force gcc to use them with -B/usr/ccs/bin/.

- Dave Dykstra