Error Compiling GNUPGP-0.9.5 under AIX 4.1.5

Michael Roth mroth at nessie.de
Sun Apr 18 14:58:21 CEST 1999

On Fri, 16 Apr 1999 joachim.zaers at sercon.de wrote:

> I build myself a late version of the gcc compiler using egcs-1.1.2 and it
> build quite a lot of packages fine.
> When applying it to the gnupgp package I get the following error.
> Any idea?

Yes. ;-)

>      gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I.. -I../include    -g -O2 -Wall
> -Wcast-align -Wshadow -Wstrict-prototypes  -c mpih-div.c
> mpih-div.c: In function `mpihelp_mod_1':
> mpih-div.c:86: warning: implicit declaration of function `__udiv_w_sdiv'
> mpih-div.c:189: fixed or forbidden register 64 (mq) was spilled for class
> MQ_REGS.
> This may be due to a compiler bug or to impossible asm
> statements or clauses.

Gcc has a bug with ASM statements which cause to compile wrongly
defined ASM statements correctly. However, in egcs this bug isn't anymore
but most ASM statements in existing programms are not correct so egcs will
fail to compile them.
I'm not sure if the ASM statements in gnupg are fixed or not. But I think
they aren't which will result in this problems. I don't know much about
this issue but I think the problem domain is called `register clobbing' or
like.

As a solution you may try to use `--disable-asm' when you configure gnupg.
I don't know if this help.

cu
		Michael