A few thoughts on gpg 1.0.0

Janusz A. Urbanowicz alex at bofh.torun.pl
Sat Dec 4 15:33:57 CET 1999

> Janusz A. Urbanowicz wrote:
>
> > First of all: a bug report: GPG dumps core if file to be encrypted is long
> > (say, 10 megabytes) and truncated. I'm not sure if vanilla 1.0 did this, at
> > least 1.0.0e does this for sure.
>
> I have to check this again

I meant 'decrypted' here, sorry for the inconvenience.

> > And a remark - GPG commandline parsing su^H^His not intuitive. If an
> > option, like --output is after the command (which is customary for
> > specifying outfile), it is silently ignored. The same at least for
> > --with-colons. This is a Bad Thing (TM) also because one of best known
> > features of GNU software is its good comamndline parametres parser.
>
> If you do:
>
> $ ./gpg -er Alpha plain --output x
> usage: gpg [options] --encrypt [filename]
>
> Which is okay (GnuPG does not reorder the options and assumes an
> implicit "--" at the first non-option.
>
> I think you mean:
>
> $ ./gpg --list-key Alpha --output x
>
> Which lsist Alpha and does not complain about "--output", it may list
> the keys which do have an x in it.  The problem here is that the error
> response of --list-key is not very good.  This should be fixed.  You
> get an error only back when all user IDs give are not found.

I meant situation like this: I want to export my key to a file, so I say:

alex at setaur:[~]:18:0:>gpg -a --export alex@ --output bbble
gpg: NOTE: THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT VERSION!
gpg: It is only intended for test purposes and should NOT be
gpg: used in a production environment or with production keys!
gpg: --output: nie znaleziono użytkownika: nie odnaleziono klucza
publicznego
gpg: bbble: nie znaleziono użytkownika: nie odnaleziono klucza publicznego
Version: GnuPG v1.0.0e (GNU/Linux)
[key contents follow]

and the key is exported to stdout and not to a file I specified with
--output

Alex
--
   *   | Janusz A. "Alex" Urbanowicz,           \  Home: <alex at bofh.torun.pl>