GnuPG and trailing whitespace handling

Jon Callas jcallas at nai.com
Thu Feb 11 12:30:55 CET 1999

At 11:05 AM 2/11/99 +0100, Werner Koch wrote:

|Okay, so I implement it like PGP and make a remark that GnuPG does not
|follow the RFC :-)

I don't know how to interpret the smiley, so I apologize if this is a
humor-impaired comment.

If you follow the RFC, you will be backwards compatible.

If you want to be forwards compatible (meaning that you accept things old
versions generate), all you have to do is not generate an error when an old
version fails to blank-trim.

IETF standards are not handcuffs. You are always permitted to do more than
them. This is especially true in cases where you accept as valid something
that fails slightly.

	Jon

-----
Jon Callas                                  jon at pgp.com
CTO, Total Network Security                 3965 Freedom Circle
Network Associates, Inc.                    Santa Clara, CA 95054
(408) 346-5860
Fingerprints: D1EC 3C51 FCB1 67F8 4345 4A04 7DF9 C2E6 F129 27A9 (DSS)
              665B 797F 37D1 C240 53AC 6D87 3A60 4628           (RSA)