[gnupg] trustdb problems, con't

Germano Caronni caronni@olymp.org
Wed Jan 27 14:47:46 CET 1999

I fully agree with Thomas, but on an even more principal level.
If you divert in your trust model from the standard PGP behaviour,
then this should be clearly shown to the user. Otherwise he will
handle your trust values as he handles PGP trust values -- which is
not correct, as Thomas shows in his example.
It certainly is a good idea to allow for *different* trust models, be
it for experimentation or actual use, as long as you make clear the
difference... I would be very curious to hear what the argumentation
to add trust values on user ID's on a key is. It does not seem obvious
to me that trust in a key has any actual meaning -- only trust in a user-id
<-> key binding has.

Friendly greetings,

	Germano Caronni

p.s. For different trust models, you might want to have a look at
ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub/publications/papers/ti/isc/Pub_Key_Model.ps.gz
or
M. K. Reiter, S. G. Stubbelbin, Towards Acceptable Metrics of Authentication,
Proc. of 1997 IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy, May 1997.
For the first model, I can also send you code.

--
Do you know the Internet Oracle? Answers _all_ your questions! http://olymp.org

Germano Caronni       germano.caronni@sun.com          <** webpage homeless **>
PGP-Key-ID: 19970907        gec@acm.org        4F3884ED32CC5C4E38FC75B474E0523E