request for feature

Soren Dayton csdayton at cs.uchicago.edu
Sat Jul 10 18:55:46 CEST 1999

Hi all,

Compare the output of pgp 5 and gpg on a file that I don't have the
private key to decrypt.

PGP5:

% pgpv < foo.enc
No files specified.  Using stdin.

Message is encrypted.
Cannot decrypt message.  It can only be decrypted by:
  2048 bits, Key ID 12345678, Created 1999-06-28

gpg:

% gpg --decrypt < foo.enc
gpg (GnuPG) 0.9.7; Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: decryption failed: secret key not available

Someone sent me a PGP 6 message and I didn't realize what was going on
until I used pgpv to figure out what had happened.  It told me that the
message was encrypted for someone else (in fact for the person who sent
it *sigh*).

Would it be possible to get a message like this output?  (I looked at
the code and did not see an obvious place to insert this.  Otherwise I
would be sending a patch)

Thanks a whole bunch,
Soren