Suggestions and Fixes for SunOS 4.1.3_U1

Dave Dykstra dwd at bell-labs.com
Fri Jul 30 09:53:59 CEST 1999

On Jul 29,  6:19pm, sam at progressive-systems.com wrote:
> I was able to install gpg 0.9.9 on SunOS 4.1.3_U1 after a couple of
> tweaks.  I used gcc 2.7.2.  Hopefully these changes can make it into
> the source tree and they may have already been reported.  Some of the
> problems I ran into may be related to the SunOS environment.
>
> 1)  I don't know if a TIPS/HINTS document is being written, but if so,
>     these configure parameters worked for me:
>
>     ./configure --disable-nls --disable-dynload --disable-dev-random \
> 		--with-included-zlib
>
>     If you don't use --disable-dynload then you will need to edit the
>     g10/Makefile and change the following:
>
>     LDFLAGS =  -Wl,-export-dynamic
>     LDFLAGS =  -Wl

I did not need to use --disable-dynload on Sunos 4.1.2 and gcc 2.8.1.
Is your gcc configured to use Sun's ld rather than the GNU's ld?  The
person who set up the gcc that I use chose to configure gcc to use GNU ld
whenever possible, but GNU's ld doesn't work on some operating system types.
I'm pretty sure my gcc on Sunos 4 and Solaris both use GNU's ld ...
yes, I see that GnuPG's configure assumes that Sun's ld is used on Solaris,
and there I've been setting CFLAGS="-B/usr/ccs/bin/" in configure's
environment to get gcc to invoke Sun's ld.

Can gpg actually do dynamic loading for you if you delete the
-export-dynamic?  If not, maybe there is some other option to Sun's ld
which would make it work.  If so, GnuPG's configure should probably be
changed to detect which ld is being used somehow.  I'll look into seeing if
I can get GNU's ld on Solaris to do dynamic loading, and if so try to come
up with the configure magic for both sunos 4 and solaris to work with
either ld.

On Jul 30, 10:40am, Werner Koch wrote:
> sam at Progressive-Systems.Com writes:
>
> > I was able to install gpg 0.9.9 on SunOS 4.1.3_U1 after a couple of
> > tweaks.  I used gcc 2.7.2.  Hopefully these changes can make it into
>
> I know that it works on sparc-sun-sunos4.1.2.
>
> Dave, did you use gcc or the standard compiler?

I used gcc.

> > 3)  The assembly files in mpi/sparc32 need to be tweaked (or at least
> >     they did for me.)  All of the symbols defined needed to have an
> >     extra underscore prepended to them.  Gpg will not compile without
>
> Argh, what did I broke, was it the left over setting of a variable to
> an empty string ...  -- time for another configure option??

This is the fix I already reported, Werner.  The line
    ac_cv_sys_symbol_underscore=""
needs to be deleted from configure for 0.9.9 or configure thinks that the
value is already cached and assumes that no assembly functions need to have
a "_" prefix.  Of the six operating systems I build gnupg on I've only
noticed this on Sunos 4, but presumably other operating systems may have
the same problem.

- Dave Dykstra