trustdb transaction too large

Claus Assmann ca+gpg at sendmail.com
Thu Jun 10 20:45:51 CEST 1999

When I tried to import a new key (0xFAEBD5FC from Philip R. Zimmermann),
I got the following error message:

$ gpg --import pz.key
gpg (GnuPG) 0.9.7; Copyright (C) 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

gpg: key FAEBD5FC: public key imported
gpg: sig FAEBD5FC.792/C0B8/0A56F93F: public key not anymore available
gpg: trustdb transaction too large
gpg: trustdb transaction too large
gpg: trust record 1728, type 11: write failed: resource limit
gpg: The trustdb is corrupted; please run "gpgm --fix-trustdb".

Is this a known problem? (I haven't found it in recent mails).
The key is pretty large and has nearly 500 signatures...
Or is it "just" an incompatibility with PGP?