Question about PGP 5/6.* and GNUPG compatibility

brian moore bem at cmc.net
Sun Jun 27 19:17:01 CEST 1999

On Sun, Jun 27, 1999 at 12:39:29PM -0500, Soren Dayton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to evaluate whether to use PGP or GPG, with the constraint
> that we have to be able to trade email with Windows and Mac PGP 5 and 6
> users (corporate types) more than anyone else.
>
> So far, it appears that these are mostly compatible, but also that there
> are still (may still be?) some outstanding bugs in GPG and that the code
> is young, and hasn't been exposed to much of a beating.  This is not
> critical in any way.  Indeed, all of this looks really excellent and it
> looks like the biggest problem with GnuPG has more to do with PGP (for
> example, the twofish thing and more general non-compliance).
>
> Does this seem like a reasonable assessment?  Or am I only seeing the
> occasional bugs on the mailing lists, when everyone else blissfully
> interoperates every day? :)  Is there any sense of how frequent these
> are?

Most of my 'problems' are in dealing with the RSAvsDH sigs (which PGP5/6
has with PGP2 users anyway -- so it's not at all unique to GPG) or
(the number one 'complaint'), programs that can't deal with PGP/MIME.

Other than that, it seems to work fine.

The nature of the list is that people who don't have problems won't
write.

--
Brian Moore                       | "The Zen nature of a spammer resembles
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     |  a cockroach, except that the cockroach