Installation problem (sed?)

Bodo Moeller Bodo_Moeller at public.uni-hamburg.de
Wed Mar 17 10:33:00 CET 1999

>   I found a problem in installation of gpg to solaris 2.6 system.
> [...] libtool script failed to find $thisdir variable.

The line that defines $thisdir is incorrect: \n should be '\n'
(i.e., the single quotes are missing in libtool).  Otherwise, the
backslash disappears too early, and printf outputs the letter n
instead of a newline.  GNU sed accepts unterminated lines and produces
a correct result (the extra letter n does not hurt in this case
because sed is instructed to remove anything after the last slash),
but other implementations of sed don't produce output on the
incomplete line, thus leaving $thisdir empty.