Build problem with 0.9.5

Gerald Preissler Gerald.Preissler at gmx.de
Mon Mar 22 22:10:41 CET 1999

Hi folks,

I´m having problems to build GPG 0.9.5 . I know it´s probably my
fault, but I can´t figure out how to fix it.
When trying to build GPG on my system (SuSE 6.0, Kernel 2.3,
egcs-2.91.60), the make aborts with the following message :

--8<--cut
mpicalc.o: warning: previous common is here
../util/libutil.a(iobuf.o): warning: multiple common of `mpi_debug_mode'
mpicalc.o: warning: previous common is here
/usr/i486-linux/bin/ld: cannot open -lz: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [mpicalc] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/test/gnupg-0.9.5/tools'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/test/gnupg-0.9.5'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
--8=--cut

To me it looks like the linker is missing an input file, but I could
not find the location in the makefile, and if I had found I probably
could not fix it :-(. So how can I build the beast?

Otherwise, congratulations on the work you are doing. I really think
you are doing us all a favor.

cheerio
        Jerry

--
     |||       ... and now for something completely different ...
     o o