Re-using GnuPG code

Michael Roth mroth at nessie.de
Mon Mar 29 08:39:31 CEST 1999

On Sat, 27 Mar 1999, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:

> I'm working on an abstraction layer library, and now that I need to
> incorporate encryption, I was thinking about using some of the GnuPG code,
> since the work is already done here. The library is to be announced within two
> months, and will be GPLed.

Check out the develoment version of GnuPG by CVS and you will see that in
the directory 'gnupg/gcrypt' their is a encryption library in progress.
However, it is not finished yet...

> What I wanted to ask is, can anyone give me hints or pointers into the code,

First, look at the filtering stuff of GnuPG in 'gnupg/util/iobuf.c'. It is
important to understand the buffering concept before you try to learn
more about GnuPG.
Second, check out 'gnupg/cipher/cipher.c' and its implementations (des.c,
blowfish.c and so on). Same for 'gnupg/cipher/md.c' and its
implementations.
Third, try to understand all in 'gnupg/g10/*.c' ;-) A good starting point
is g10.c and encode.c.

At least, this way worked very well for me a year ago. Of course you
should read all in 'gnupg/doc/*'.

cu
		Michael