GnuPG Windows install routine

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Dec 28 16:18:58 CET 2000

On Thu, 28 Dec 2000, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> gnupg:
> 	I used the binaries as prepared by Werner.
>
> 	The registry entry Software\GNU\GnuPG\HomeDir seems
> 	not to work. Are Windows-style paths interpreted correctly
> 	by gnupg?

It is a common misunderstanding that the forward slash cannot be
used under Windoes.  Only the shells don't like them but the API has
ever since MSDOS 2.0 supported forward slashes.  The only thing
where you need backslashed might be paths like
"\\computername\doo\bar".  I don't know about the registry but if
there are some regsistry lookup functions in GnuPG and they should
to the right thing.

I know that the HomeDir thing used to work but I have not tested it
in the last few releases.

> 	The registry entry for MODir does not work either.

I definitely know that it works.

> gpa:
> 	I have managed to compile gpa with cygnus, but executing
> 	gpa provokes no action/window (can stop gpa with ctrl-c cleanly).

Don't do this.  BTW., the current CVS version does not work under
Windows.

> gpgme:
> 	Werner, could provide your W32 binary on the ftp server?

Given that this is a library I am not sure whether this is a good
idea.  It is not yet a DLL but statically linked, so you need the
mingw/cpd thing anyway.

> * the pdf file for german GPH is not linked on the german page.

The translations are sonewhat outdated.

> * CVS/gph: there is no autogen.sh or scripts/autogen.sh
> 	as described on http://www.gnupg.org/en/cvs-access.html

There are still some things to be addressed in GPH before we can
make a real release.  Just run aclocal, automake, autoconf.