GNUPG import capability

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon Feb 21 22:31:47 CET 2000

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Someone wrote:

> I thought you might be interested in one area where PGP6.5.1i
> works and GPG does not.

Tsss, proprietary data formats:

> :user ID packet: "CN=Thawte Personal Freemail RSA Issuer 1998.9.16, OU=Thawte PF RSA IK 1998.9.16 17:55, O=Thawte Consulting, L=Durbanville, ST=Western Cape, C=ZA"
> :signature packet: algo 100, keyid 0000000000000000
>         version 4, created 905968534, md5len 0, sigclass 10
>         digest algo 1, begin of digest 00 00
>         hashed subpkt 2 len 5 (sig created 1998-09-16)
>         hashed subpkt 3 len 5 (sig expires after 2y0d0h0m)
>         hashed subpkt 5 len 3 (trust signature)
>         hashed subpkt 100 len 833 (?)
>         unknown algorithm 100

Algorithms in the range 100 to 120 are reserved for experimental
purposes and the algos are simply not defined.  I think, what you see
is the PGP extension to pack X.509 signatures into their data formats.

There was an discussion in the WG about this but NAI refused to open
the data format used to implemetn this.  And I don't believe it makes
much sense to merge different protocols.

Anyway,	this packet does not violate OpenPG as the PhotoID does, but
it is not interoperable.

   Wern