UID of secret key gone (OT)

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 20 18:49:18 CET 2000

On Thu, 20 Jan 2000, Jörg Ziefle wrote:

> joerg at norad:~/.gnupg > gpg --list-secret-key
> /home/joerg/.gnupg/secring.gpg
> ------------------------------
> sec  1024D/68FBD67F 2000-01-18
> ssb  1024g/CB70CD4D 2000-01-18

The user IDs are actually not needed in the secret key but they are
normally created to make the listening easier.  I think we should drop
the user IDs entirely from the secring and enhance the listing
function to lookup the name in the public keyring.  This makes some
syncronisation issues in keyedit.c even easier.

> Is there a way to recover the secret key, that means to edit the secret
> key to get back its User ID?

Until we do not have a swiss-knife tool to manipulate OpenPGP packets,
there is no easy solution.

--
Werner Koch at guug.de           www.gnupg.org           keyid 621CC013

     Boycott Amazon!  -  http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/amazon.html