options to choose key preferences

L. Sassaman rabbi at quickie.net
Sun Jul 2 15:04:39 CEST 2000

I would be interested in this patch. I had asked Werner about adding such
a feature a while ago...

- --Len.

On Sun, 2 Jul 2000, Todd L. Brooks wrote:

> -----BEGIN PGPENVELOPE PROCESSED MESSAGE-----
>
> Hi,
>
> I have an idea for three new advanced user options:
>
> --signature-cipher-prefs
> --signature-digest-prefs
> --signature-compress-prefs
>
> which would allow one to choose their own preferred algorithms when
> creating or self-signing a key. Currently these preferences are hard
> coded into the program and normally do not need to be changed, but
> you could use, for example:
>
> gpg --gen-key --signature-cipher-prefs="CAST5,IDEA,3DES" \
>     --signature-digest-prefs=" " \
>     --signature-compress-prefs=" " \
>     --s2k-cipher-algo=CAST5 --s2k-digest-algo=SHA1
>
> and you would have a key ready to be exported to and used on a machine running
> pgp6.x.  This has been useful to me on a few occasions. Of course
> these options could be used with --edit-key to add other user id's
> with preferences of your choosing. Why shouldn't
> an (advanced) user be allowed to choose their own key preferences?
> There are options to control just about everything else (within the
> limits of rfc2440).
>
> I have added these options to my own personal version, and would be
> happy to forward the patch if there is any interest in including it in
> future releases.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Todd
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Todd L. Brooks
> Department of Mechanical Engineering
> Yale University
> New Haven, CT 06520-8286

__

L. Sassaman

System Administrator                |
Technology Consultant               |  "Common sense is wrong."
icq.. 10735603                      |
pgp.. finger://ns.quickie.net/rabbi |    --Practical C Programming