Will DSS keys still be preferred over RSA in a few months?

L. Sassaman rabbi at quickie.net
Wed Jul 5 12:23:32 CEST 2000

Well, I don't think that RSA v3 keys will ever be favored. Shortly, PGP
7.0 will be released with RSA v4 key support, which will allow RSA keys
that have all the benefits of PGP DSS keys (different encryption/signing
keys, SHA-1 instead of MD5, your choice of conventional cipher, the
ability to have multiple subkeys, etc.)

I don't see RSA v4 keys being favored immediately, since there is an
obvious backwards compatability issue here. I gave Werner a set of test
keys a few months ago, so I expect that there won't be any problems with
GnuPG compatability. (Though from the post that someone who had gotten his
hands on a 7.0 beta made recently about "RSA Legacy Keys" to this list, it
looks like there are currently some problems in GnuPG with RSA keys in
general (even v3).

But it will be interesting to watch.

I myself will continue to use DSS/ElGamal.

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Frank Tobin wrote:

> Dave Dykstra, at 10:59 -0500 on Wed, 5 Jul 2000, wrote:
>
> > What do people think -- will the current preference for DSS PGP/GnuPG keys
> > go away when the RSA patent expires?
>
> I don't forsee there being any real favorites.  There are real no strong
> reasons to favor RSA over ElGamal/DSA or vice versa.
>
> Don't forget that IDEA (used by PGP 2.x) will still be patented.
>
> --
> Frank Tobin		http://www.uiuc.edu/~ftobin/

__

L. Sassaman

System Administrator                |
Technology Consultant               |  "Common sense is wrong."
icq.. 10735603                      |
pgp.. finger://ns.quickie.net/rabbi |    --Practical C Programming