Will DSS keys still be preferred over RSA in a few months?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jul 6 17:16:42 CEST 2000

On Wed, 5 Jul 2000, Dave Dykstra wrote:

> What do people think -- will the current preference for DSS PGP/GnuPG keys
> go away when the RSA patent expires?  Werner, you're planning on including

No DSS will still be deafault.  There are no additional benefits from
using RSA (except that it is somewaht bit faster) given the fact that
we do not have a larger hash algorithm for a larger DSA like signature
algorithm and that the DSA signature matieral is shorter than the one
created with RSA.

> RSA support in standard gpg at that point, right?  Will that include
> generating RSA keys?   I'm wondering if I should bother to switch over the

Yes, I will make the RSA module go away and include support to
generate v4 RSA keys.  There will be no support to generate v3 RSA
keys.

Werner Koch				OpenPGP key 621CC013
OpenIT GmbH                             tel +49 211 239577-0
Birkenstr. 12                           email   wk at OpenIT.de
D-40233 Duesseldorf                     http://www.OpenIT.de