bad system call on HP-UX 10.20

Ralf Hildebrandt R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de
Wed Mar 22 19:02:39 CET 2000

I'm out of luck --
I've been trying to build GNUpg-1.0.1c and some other versions, but keep
getting "bad system call" errors during "make check":

I use:
gnu make and gcc-2.95.2

I configured GNUpg using:
./configure  --prefix=/users2/local --enable-static-rnd=egd --disable-dev-random --disable-dynload
(since HP-UX has no /dev/random)

The error occurs with or without "-O" in the CFLAGS. In fact, I've built a
debugging version and produced a backtrace:

%> gdb gpg
GNU gdb 4.17
This GDB was configured as "hppa1.1-hp-hpux10.20"...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /users2/local/bin/gpg

Program received signal SIGSYS, Bad system call.
0x7affab10 in _mlock ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x7affab10 in _mlock ()
#1  0xd7b08 in lock_pool (p=0x7ae94000, n=16384) at secmem.c:120
#2  0xd7e2c in init_pool (n=16384) at secmem.c:206
#3  0xd8024 in secmem_init (n=16384) at secmem.c:266
#4  0x1b3cc in main (argc=0, argv=0x7b03a464) at g10.c:659

So it's that
 err = mlock( p, n );
call in line 120 of secmem.c

Oddly, this error only occurs when doing this as root?!

--
Ralf Hildebrandt <R.Hildebrandt at tu-bs.de> www.stahl.bau.tu-bs.de/~hildeb