Solaris random device

Lars Hecking lhecking at nmrc.ucc.ie
Wed May 10 22:08:08 CEST 2000

 Hi all,

 I just subscribed here, because the problem I'm facing now is probably
 not appropriate for -users ...

 After openssh failed when I upgraded to Solaris 8, I was looking for an
 alternative to egd and found Andreas Maier's random device for Solaris
 (http://www.cosy.sbg.ac.at/~andi/). It seems to work quite nicely with
 openssl/openssh. I can generate keys, make connections, no problem.

 I'm now trying to use the random device with gpg, but it doesn't work.

$ ./configure --prefix=$HOME --disable-nls --enable-static-rnd=linux
(don't now if --enable-static-rnd=linux necessary - it doesn't make
 a difference if I leave this out)
checking for random device... yes
checking for linux/random.h... no
checking for random device ioctl... no

$ make check
gpg (GnuPG) 1.0.1e
This program comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
under certain conditions. See the file COPYING for details.

Home: .
Supported algorithms:
Cipher: 3DES, CAST5, BLOWFISH, TWOFISH
Pubkey: ELG-E, DSA, ELG
PASS: version.test
PASS: mds.test
PASS: decrypt.test
PASS: decrypt-dsa.test

 and there it seems to hang. I'm attaching truss to the running copy
 of gpg and get

poll(0xFFBED588, 1, 3000)                       Err#6 ENXIO
write(2, " s e l e c t ( )   e r r".., 16)      = 16
write(2, " N o   s u c h   d e v i".., 25)      = 25
write(2, "\n", 1)                               = 1
[repeats over and over]

 Any suggestions? Is it possible that the current code is too Linux/BSD
 specific?

 Thanks.