external keystore option?

Mikolaj J. Habryn dichro-gnupg-devel at rcpt.to
Thu May 11 21:11:14 CEST 2000

    WK> I'd would very much appreciate help for GnuPG from volunteers
    WK> who can sign an copyright assignment for the FSF.  Without
    WK> that legal paper I have to review all the pacthes and look at
    WK> the idea only :-(

  This won't be a problem, but I'll save it for if and when I come up
with something worthwhile to contribute.

    WK> BTW, Brian Warner did some experiments with a PalmPilot and
    WK> sent me the outline for a protocol to be used between the
    WK> decryption/signing engine on some device and gpg.  However, I
    WK> have not yet found the time to work on it and franky I can't
    WK> find it right now in my mail archives :-(

  Hmm, okay. Failing that, my intent was to gin up a simple text based
protocol to run over Unix sockets, with operations like

DECRYPT ( list of valid keys ) cyphertext

  I presume here that gpg will know what keys can decrypt a message
(by fingerprint? id? full public key? How are they identified in the
message?), but won't know which ones are available.

ENCRYPT key plaintext

  Which does the obvious thing. Would this cover the gamut of what gpg
does with private keys? I am also presuming that the keystore would
acquire the keys by means outside this protocol.

m.