Clearsigning (again)

brian moore bem at cmc.net
Thu May 25 16:36:45 CEST 2000

On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 03:08:29PM -0700, brian moore wrote:
> On Thu, May 25, 2000 at 02:39:15PM -0700, brian moore wrote:
> >
> > This seems to be contrary to RFC2440:
> >
> >    Also, any trailing whitespace (spaces, and tabs, 0x09) at the end of
> >    any line is ignored when the cleartext signature is calculated.
> >
> > Spaces at the end of the line -are- ignored correctly.  But tabs are
> > not.
>
> Ah, oddly enough I can make it do this -- but I have to specify
> '--rfc1991' to do it.
>
> It still strips the \n at the end, and I'm not sure why the --rfc1991 is
> needed, since RFC2440 requires it as well...

Continuing to follow up to myself... :)

I see why.  It's a bug of PGP5.  If I manually strip the tab in the
clearsigned stuff, pgpv will then gladly verify it, so PGP5 is not
recognizing that it should ignore trailing tabs on input.  (And this
isn't documented in the 'Implementation Notes' in 2440 with the other
PGP5 bugs... Can someone on the IETF committee see that it makes it into
future revisions? :))

But the dropping-the-trailing-newline doesn't require PGP5, so I'm still
convinced this is solely a gnupg problem:

[thorin:~] 3:34:15pm 288 % echo foo > foo
[thorin:~] 3:34:20pm 289 % md5sum foo
d3b07384d113edec49eaa6238ad5ff00  foo
[thorin:~] 3:34:27pm 290 % gpg -sat foo

You need a passphrase to unlock the secret key for
user: "brian moore <bem at cmc.net>"
1024-bit DSA key, ID 88322B51, created 1998-10-17

[thorin:~] 3:34:44pm 291 % gpg foo.asc
File `foo' exists. Overwrite (y/N)? y
gpg: Signature made Thu May 25 15:34:44 2000 PDT using DSA key ID 88322B51
gpg: Good signature from "brian moore <bem at cmc.net>"
gpg:                 aka "brian moore <bem at thorin.cmc.net>"
gpg:                 aka "brian moore <bem at news.cmc.net>"
[thorin:~] 3:34:52pm 292 % md5sum foo
2145971cf82058b108229a3a2e3bff35  foo

I still don't think gnupg should do that. :)

--
Brian Moore                       | Of course vi is God's editor.
      Sysadmin, C/Perl Hacker     | If He used Emacs, He'd still be waiting