Windows, GNUPGHOME, registry

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Aug 24 14:14:02 CEST 2001

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001 12:27:21 +0200, disastry  said:

> yes, exactly, but first process have to read it from somewhere.

> local environment for each user
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment\

aka ~/.profile

> global environment for all users
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment\

aka /etc/profile

> I don't see how one additional getenv() can make it worse..

"GnuPG does not find my secret key"
"Did you changed the registry?"
"Ah well, but this should matter"
"Please tell the value of registry entry...."
[does it]
"Hmmm, this looks okay, so tell me what is in
 HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment\"
[does it]
"Hmmm, no GNUPGHOME - okay. Are you using any other software?"
"no"
"really no, what about the foowiz shell?"
"Sure, I use it"
"So look up the file c:/foowiz/bar/baz.txt"
"found"
"is there an entry named SpecialGnuPGMode?"
"yes"
"Allright, sometimes foowiz changes the envirnment: start a fooziw
 script and print env_GNUPGHOME"

See what I mean?