gpg roadmap

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Dec 17 14:49:02 CET 2001

On Fri, Dec 14, 2001 at 03:15:40PM +0000,
  Andrew Marlow <apm35 at student.open.ac.uk> wrote:

> What does the GPG community think about providing a stealth utility for
> GPG, similar to the one that exists for PGP 2.6.n ?
>
> At the moment PGP scores over GPG for me just because of this utility.
> This is because I live in the UK where it has become important to hide the
> fact that one uses cryptography. This is because of the RIP law which
> allows the authorities to serve you notice that your crypto-key be
> surrended. Failure to comply results in a 2 year jail sentence. GPG may be
> better than PGP for several reasons (open source, no ADKs etc etc) but
> this is no good to me if it can't be stealth'd.

If this happens, you should try to just turn over the session key. If
you have access to the message they want decrypted, you can extract
the session key so that the message can be decoded without allowing them
to decode every message you have used the public key with.

They will probably have to provide you the message in order for you to
really know which key they want.