Wrapper Writing Question

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Feb 13 09:25:08 CET 2001

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Nicholas Cole wrote:

> Although many of the main functions of GPG can be accessed through the
> command line directly, there are certain things, such as altering the
> trust asigned to a key which are not so easy to get at.  I was wondering
> if there was an accepted and approaved way to do such things.  I have

My idea of implementing this can be viewed in the source of GPGME
(ftp://ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/gpgme/).  The only thing currently
implemented is the way passphrases are requested/send to gpg.  This
can be done in a similar way for other actions.  The important thing
here, is that react just on the gpg requests and do not assume some
canned replay is sufficient - gpg may choose to change things
slightly.

I am currently thing on how to imeplemnt an protocol neutral interface for
managing trust issues and so on.  The API GPGME does provide should
not be limited to OpenPGP, so that we can cope with other underlying
protocols (if this will ever happen).

During the course of implementing GnuPG support via GPGME in
Seahorse, WinPT and Sylpheed we hopefully are gaining experience on
how to do it right.

BTW, an Alpha version of Sylpheed, GPA, WinPT and GnuPG for Windoze
will be available within this month.

Werner Koch                                              <wk at gnupg.org>
GNU Privacy Guard                                (http://www.gnupg.org)
Free Software Foundation Europe              (http://www.fsfeurope.org)
           [Please see X-* mail header for OpenPGP key info]