gnupg windows installer

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Jan 4 18:50:22 CET 2001

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> I am pretty sure that the majority of the Windows
> user think \ is the correct and only path separator.

Okay. let's forget about this.  GnuPG does now convert all
backslashes used with --homedir or the registry entry.

> hm, are you saying that Software written in a language where no
> Free Software compiler exists can not be Free Software?

Yes.  From the GPL:

| control compilation and installation of the executable.  However, as a
| special exception, the source code distributed need not include
| anything that is normally distributed (in either source or binary
| form) with the major components (compiler, kernel, and so on) of the
| operating system on which the executable runs, unless that component
| itself accompanies the executable.

I don't think that the Delphi compiler is one of the major
components of Windows.  But let us better discuss such issues with a
some beer nearby :-)

Well my other address is koch at fsfeurope.org ;-)

> I will now further investigate why on my system (W2000) the registry is not
> read, but it works on your system.

Strange, try to check whether the other HKEY_ keys yield a result.

On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> I am trying to compile gnupg 1.0.4 with
> the Cygnus gcc.

Arggg.  Isn't it possible for you to use MingW/32 on a Unix box -
that is the way GnuPG is compiled for Windows.  The only thing I can
do is to apply small patches for Cygwin but I can't test them and in
general I do not think that it is a good idea to build the Windows
version with different environments.

> For both the make process stops, because
> the include files sys/ipc.h and sys/shm.h
> are missing (compiling rndunix).

Cygwin should not compile rndunix - it is *dangerous* to use, it may
leak your secret key!  On Windows GnuPG MUST use rndw32.