gnupg on windows

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jan 9 22:23:50 CET 2001

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> The aim should be to avoid numerous postings with
> patches to compile gnupg for Windows.
> To avoid this we should
>
> 1. Add information on how to compile gnupg
> 	for Windows (in INSTALL).

See doc/README.w32 :-)

There will be no official support for compiling it on other
environments other than mingw32/CPD (the cross compiler). I just
can't effort the extra maintenance effort.  There is support for
Windows and that is enough.  I better assign my time to help make it
run on VMS than on Windows with another compiler.  Next time soneone
comes and wants some minor changes for use with MSC6, then for Turbo
C, then for Watcom ... I few years I luckily retired all the
compilers I used for Windows and OS/2 along with the special support
they needed in my libs to replace them with gcc.  And it should stay
this way.

Sorry, last word on this.

> 2. Add patches to the CVS that make it easier
> 	to compiler for Windows. That will

I have a huge backlog of small patches and I'll add those which are
small enough.  But only if time permits it and it does not clutter
the code with ifdefs.

> Werner, can you add the patches to gnupg?
> They refer to the STABLE-1.0 branch.

OKay.

> BTW: We have sorted out the Registry problems.

What was the problem?  Don't say it's due to missing Cygwin support ;-)

Werner Koch                                              <wk at gnupg.org>
GNU Privacy Guard                                (http://www.gnupg.org)
Free Software Foundation Europe              (http://www.fsfeurope.org)
           [Please see X-* mail header for OpenPGP key info]