Photo ID patch

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Sat Jul 28 19:56:02 CEST 2001

David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> writes:

> On Sat, Jul 28, 2001 at 11:23:16AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> David Shaw <dshaw at jabberwocky.com> writes:
>>
>> >     The default viewer is "xv -name \"KeyID 0x%k\" -"
>>
>> You can't do that. xv is not free software.
>
> I can't mention the *name* of non-free software?

Yes, actually this is one of the rules for software which wants to be
part of the GNU project.  In some way, your patch *recommends* to use
non-free software (or assumes that the user is using it in conjunction
with GnuPG, which comes close to a recommendation), which goes further
than just mentioning it.

This may sound quite harsh, but I haven't made the rules for software
in the GNU Project. :-/

> This is like urlview - free software under the GPL, but by default it
> calls netscape to view URLs.

urlview is probably not part of the GNU Project, but the GNU Privacy
Guard certainly is.