[Patch] Enabling entropy gathering with Tool Help on Windows 2000

Sami Tolvanen stv at cs.tut.fi
Tue Jun 26 21:55:01 CEST 2001

> Are you sure that you are running it from a normal user account?

Yes, but I don't see why it would matter.

> toolhelp is designed to grab variable stuff from all other the memory
> which can be done under W95.  NT is kinda real OS and protects access
> to resources for unauthorized users;

The portion of the Tool Help library used in GnuPG only retrieves
information on processes, threads, modules, and heap allocations on the
system. AFAIK, this is quite similar as running 'ps aux' on Linux (but maybe
returns more details).

Tool Help _can_ be used to read the memory allocated to other processes
(using the Toolhelp32ReadProcessMemory API), but this isn't used in GnuPG
for obvious reasons - without a doubt it would require Administrator
privileges if run on Windows 2000, I haven't tried it.

> That's right but it adds code complexity and a performance penalty
> with a questionable result.

Could you please clarify what do you mean by "questionable result"? And
there is hardly any performance penalty.

--
Sami Tolvanen
http://www.tolvanen.com/sami/