GPG agent for W32

Florian Weimer fw at deneb.enyo.de
Tue May 8 00:38:02 CEST 2001

Timo Schulz <twoaday at freakmail.de> writes:

> after I searched an easy way to use GPG passphrase caching
> under W32 I decided to port the GPG-Agent code. But there
> was one problem. It uses Unix Domain Sockets and this kind
> of sockets aren't supported by W32. I know this list isn't
> about TCP questions, but this questions is also related to GPG.

Win32 provides named pipes, which are quite similar.

> As a solution I used a socket together with the loopback
> interface 127.0.0.1. Now my question, in my opinion to use
> the 'lo' device prevent users to connect to the used port
> from the network. Do I miss something or is there a way to
> connect from outside this machine?

There are some weird issues with blind TCP spoofing on localhost
interfaces using some other interface, I think.  In addition, if you
run GnuPG in a multi-user environment (which is going to become more
and more common, although it's of course not the preferred environment
of cryptography to protect personal privacy), all local users can
connect to a localhost socket.