Bug: 1.0.5: High-ASCII characters in user IDs not properly displayed

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Mon May 28 17:05:01 CEST 2001

On Mon, 28 May 2001, Thomas Gebhardt wrote:

>      - "Charset", a description of the character set that the plaintext

This is only related to cleartext signed messages and does only
affect the message contents itself.  Cleartext is anyway a
deprecated method to sign text and will always have problems with
the charset.  GnuPG ignores this header and handles all content
transparently; everything else is broken.

For user IDs, notation data etc. UTF-8 encoding is required.  The
wording is a bit wishy-washy to cover the fact that this is not
specified in PGP 2.  Regarding our problem:

|5.11. User ID Packet (Tag 13)
|
|   A User ID packet consists of data that is intended to represent
|   the name and email address of the key holder.  By convention, it
|   includes an RFC 822 mail name, but there are no restrictions on
|   its content. The packet length in the header specifies the length
|   of the user id. If it is text, it is encoded in UTF-8.

The question is whether NAI thinks a user ID with email address is
text or not ;-)