What is all the new stuff in gpgme?

Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo jose at jaimedelamo.eu.org
Sat Nov 24 22:01:01 CET 2001

El Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 06:45:48PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann escribía:

> On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 12:10:38AM +0100, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> >    I'm seeing that Marcus is working hard in GpgME these days. That's
> >  really cool, but I'd like to know what are the assuan lib? and the
> >  gpgmeplug dir.
>
> Jan-Oliver said what it is about.  I should add some notes for people who
> base their work on that code.
>
> The changes are dramatically, but mostly internal. The external interface
> hardly changes.  There will be one or two new functions to set the desired
> protocol and to check the back end engines.  If you don't have gpgsm
> installed, and don't specify any of the new options to configure, you will
> get a gpgme that is just like the old one.  Please do not enable any of the
> new code in packaged software like Debian for now.  You will hear from us
> when we feel it is ready (or useable).

   OK, I'll wait. I only wanted to know what was that useful for and if
  I (as gpgme Debian maintainer) had to compile that stuff in new
  versions. Now I see that it is not necessary :)

> For you, Jose, I added the option --with-gpg.  If you set it to the gpg path
> in Debian, you could remove the build dependency on gpg, at the cost that
> the test suite will not be run (mmh..  I have not tested building without
> gpg.  But anyway, that's the intention :)

    Oh! That's great! Build-depending in gpg only for saying that gpg
   was installed in /usr/bin was a little painful. Thanks!

> I will likely fix the bug that the keys are returned in reversed order soon.
> This simple change will actually break the API more than all the other
> changes for GpgSM. :)

   Well, I hope you do not forget to change also the soname of the lib
 if it is necessary ;)

> If any new development comes up that makes it necessary for us to support
> the 0.2.3 version along with the new developments, I can always go back and
> branch of a stable branch in CVS.  If anybody desires it, let me know and I
> will consider it.  Otherwise I just keep running.

  I think that if the api is going to be more or less stable, you won't
 have any problem. I think that all the develpoment that can being done
 based on gpgme is in an early stage, when they can benefit more of
 libgpgme evolving that of a 0.2.3 frozen version.

   Thanks!

    José Carlos García Sogo
       <jsogo at debian.org>