What is all the new stuff in gpgme?

Marcus Brinkmann Marcus.Brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Sat Nov 24 18:48:01 CET 2001

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 12:10:38AM +0100, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
>    I'm seeing that Marcus is working hard in GpgME these days. That's
>  really cool, but I'd like to know what are the assuan lib? and the
>  gpgmeplug dir.

Jan-Oliver said what it is about.  I should add some notes for people who
base their work on that code.

The changes are dramatically, but mostly internal. The external interface
hardly changes.  There will be one or two new functions to set the desired
protocol and to check the back end engines.  If you don't have gpgsm
installed, and don't specify any of the new options to configure, you will
get a gpgme that is just like the old one.  Please do not enable any of the
new code in packaged software like Debian for now.  You will hear from us
when we feel it is ready (or useable).

For you, Jose, I added the option --with-gpg.  If you set it to the gpg path
in Debian, you could remove the build dependency on gpg, at the cost that
the test suite will not be run (mmh..  I have not tested building without
gpg.  But anyway, that's the intention :)

I will likely fix the bug that the keys are returned in reversed order soon.
This simple change will actually break the API more than all the other
changes for GpgSM. :)

If any new development comes up that makes it necessary for us to support
the 0.2.3 version along with the new developments, I can always go back and
branch of a stable branch in CVS.  If anybody desires it, let me know and I
will consider it.  Otherwise I just keep running.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org brinkmd at debian.org