New GnuPG snapshot

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Sat Sep 8 18:27:02 CEST 2001

On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 11:30:19PM +0200, Werner Koch wrote:
> On 07 Sep 2001 21:44:38 +0200, Florian Weimer said:
>
> > Why do you think sign/encrypt V4 keys are forbidden by OpenPGP?
>
> I don't think so.  However, most cryptgraphers believe that separated
> keys are better, so that is what GnuPG does by default.

Someone pointed out to me once that a pleasant side effect of
separated keys was that in some places, the Big Scary Gov't could
force you to reveal an encryption key, but not an authentication key.
If you used the same key for both, then you are out of luck.

(IANAL, YMMV, and I don't recall where "some places" are.)

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw at jabberwocky.com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/