New GnuPG snapshot

Andrew McDonald andrew at mcdonald.org.uk
Tue Sep 11 00:01:02 CEST 2001

On Sat, Sep 08, 2001 at 11:24:41AM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> Someone pointed out to me once that a pleasant side effect of
> separated keys was that in some places, the Big Scary Gov't could
> force you to reveal an encryption key, but not an authentication key.
> If you used the same key for both, then you are out of luck.
>
> (IANAL, YMMV, and I don't recall where "some places" are.)

I first heard it discussed by PRZ himself at a talk he gave in
Cambridge (UK). It was at the time that legislation was being discussed
in the UK which, after various mutations, became part of the Regulation
of Investigatory Powers Act. Discussion of that can be found elsewhere
(and is clearly off-topic for this list).

--
Andrew McDonald
E-mail: andrew at mcdonald.org.uk
http://www.mcdonald.org.uk/andrew/