gpgme 0.3.3 questions

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Fri Sep 21 17:17:02 CEST 2001

On Fri, 21 Sep 2001 13:54:09 +0200, Stephane Corthesy said:

> What's the point of returning 0, without being at EOF?

It might choose to interrupt the read operation instead of waiting for
more data.

> But can I still use returned keys/trustItems/data if I
> retained/referenced them?

Sure.  Consider GpgmeContext, GpgmeKey, GpgmeData all as independent
object classes.

> It will be in gpg 1.1... When will it be out?

I don't known.  I have to balance my time spend on pro bono work against
those which yield some revenue.

> Yes, it would be nice if I could get the list of imported keys.
> Maybe through the new "context operation status".

This should not grow indefinitely; I am not yet sure how to do it.

> So, this is a global attribute, isn't it? It has no sense to ask a
> subkey its secretness: we should ask the main key instead.

The flag just says: secret key available for this public key.  Wether
you can access all subkeys is a different story - they might be
protected by different passphrases.

> So, gpgme_data_release_and_get_mem() is a kind of shortcut.

Yeah, it can just use the memory already allocated by gpgme for the data.

> I hope it's high priority ;-) We miss it do create a PGP Key Manager
> application.

IIRC, Timo has some patches but I want a protocol independent
interface for this.

> I didn't think that the number of keys could be retrieved after
> --throw-keyid...

Well, the encrypted data is still available - other wise it would not
be possible to decrypt it.  The way it works is that a session is used
to encrypt the message and this session key is then public key
encrypted for each recipient.  --throw-keyid just removes the keyid of
the recipient, so that he has to try all his secret keys to decrupt
it, but all those encrypted session keys are visible.

> Thanks very much for your explanations,

Your welcome,