gpgme 0.3.3 questions

Stephane Corthesy stephane at sente.ch
Fri Sep 28 15:40:01 CEST 2001

> > How is it possible to write GpgmeData initialized with
> > gpgme_data_new_with_read_cb(), with gpgme_data_new_from_file(),
with
> > gpgme_data_new_from_filepart() ?
>
> I don't understand this.

If a GpgmeData has been created by gpgme_data_new_with_read_cb(),
how can the user modify the contents of the GpgmeData? There is no
write callback, only a read callback.
If a GpgmeData has been created by gpgme_data_new_from_mem() with
copy=0, buffer is expected to be read-only (const char *), thus you
cannot modify GpgmeData initialized that way, can you?
When initializing GpgmeData from file, what would happen if you
modify the resulting data? File wouldn't be modified, so GpgmeData
should't be writable.

> > - Currently there is no way to perform encrypt+sign operations!!!
> > gpgme_signers_add() cannot be used for gpgme_op_encrypt().
>
> I know but this is a minor problem compared to the fact that it is not
> possible to decrypt and check the signature.  I don't know what
> application you have currently in mind, my primary target are MUAs and
> tehre is is better not to use the combined method but first sign, pack
> this into a MIEM object and the encrypt this MIME object again.  The
> big advantage is that you can remove the encryption layer and still
> keep the signature.

Same target as yours: I wrote a plug-in to add PGP support in a mail
app. In the first version, I used the sign+encrypt (without using
gpgme), but I'm gonna change this. I didn't reimplemented yet the
decrypt+verify using gpgme, but it seems I'll need to wait for you to
implement it in gpgme first ;-)

> > - Is there a way to get the currently used hash algorithm? Or to
set
> > it in a GpgmeContext operation?
>
> Yes, here is my code from Sylpheed to do this (src/rfc2015.c, don't
> know whether this is already in the current CVS):

Ok, I didn't check what information I could gather from
GnupgOperationInfo. Will there be a way to set the micalg? And
encrypt algo?

Thanks very much,

Stephane