Possible GPG signature-check bug

Larry Ellis Larry_C_Ellis at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 18 21:48:02 CEST 2002

Well, as you assumed from the files I sent, the chunk of data that contained
the multiple signatures was from a timestamping service.  You also were
correct, in that this block of data was created by sending a signature to
the timestamping service, which in turn signed the signature and returned
the resulting block to me.

I'm not sure exactly what mechanism the service used to create this double
signature.

In any case, the questions are:

1.  Is there anything inherently wrong with the double signature block (for
example, does it violate some packet structure convention).

2. If the answer to 1 is no, whose handling of this is correct?  PGP's or
GPG's?

It seems clear that the timestamped block is handled the way it was intended
to be handled by everything but GPG.  So, I am wondering whether this
qualifies as a bug.  It seems that (unless there is some good reason not to)
GPG ought to be handling the double signature in the same manner as the
other versions.

Perhaps compound signature is not the best term, but I was only trying to
describe the packet structure that's failing here.

Larry