GnuPG 1.1.90 released

Josh Huber huber at alum.wpi.edu
Mon Aug 5 14:34:46 CEST 2002

"Brian M. Carlson" <karlsson at hal-pc.org> writes:

> Do tell me where I'm going to get a binary distribution with IDEA on
> GNU/Linux. Redhat doesn't provide one, and Debian most certainly
> doesn't (it is *non-free*).

Well, it is available is non-US/non-free:

$> apt-cache show gpg-idea
Package: gpg-idea
 This package contains an extension module for the GNU Privacy Guard
 (GPG), adding support for the IDEA cipher algorithm.
 RSA and IDEA are required to support standard PGP 2.x keys fully
 with GPG (RSA only will do for signature verification though).
 .
 IDEA is also the default cipher used by PGP 2.x, and is required
 to decrypt data sent by someone using PGP 2.x, to encrypt data for
 a PGP 2.x user, and to sign if you have a passphrase on your PGP
 secret key (the passphrase is encrypted using IDEA). NB you can use
 PGP to remove the passphrase, copy the key to GPG, and add a
 passphrase with GPG, and still sign without IDEA.
 .
 IDEA is unfortunately patented with big restrictions in Europe and
 the USA - please see /usr/share/doc/gpg-idea/copyright.

--
Josh Huber