Problems with v3 keys?

Len Sassaman rabbi at quickie.net
Tue Feb 26 03:43:02 CET 2002

When I try to encrypt to a certain key (I'd redacted its key ID and
replaced it with 0x0000010 in the example below), I get the following
error message:

rabbi at thetis:/usr/home/rabbi$ gpg -vv -r 0x00000010 -e foo.txt
gpg: loaded digest 2
gpg: /usr/local/lib/gnupg/idea: IDEA ($Revision: 1.9 $)
gpg: loaded digest 1
gpg: 0x00000010: skipped: unusable public key
gpg: foo.txt: encryption failed: unusable public key

I really don't want to provide the particular key for privacy reasons, but
I know that makes debugging hard. Any idea what would trigger this error?

Perhaps of use, I'm including the output of --list-packets on the key file
below:

rabbi at thetis:/usr/home/rabbi$ gpg --list-packets foo.asc
:public key packet:
        version 3, algo 1, created 781525938, expires 0
        pkey[0]: [1024 bits]
        pkey[1]: [5 bits]
:user ID packet: "Redacted (no email address in UID)"

And yes, I have allow-non-selfsigned-uid in my options file.

Thoughts?

--Len.