Can GPG decrypt a signed message and preserve the signature?

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Feb 26 08:59:01 CET 2002

On Mon, 25 Feb 2002 17:59:18 -0500 (EST), ddcc  said:

> I cannot seem to figure out how to decrypt a signed and encrypted message
> in such a way that the signature stays attached. I would need such a
> feature to prove to a third party that the sender actually signed a

The suggested way to do this is by using PGP/MIME in the regular mode;
i.e. encapsulating the message in a multipart/signed MIME object and
then wrapping this with a multipart/encrypted MIME object.  Better
MUAs do just this thing.

IIRC, there is no instant way to do this with gpg.  Well, we could add
such an option of course but I can't promise you that this will happen
any time soon.