trouble loading modules

David Shaw dshaw at jabberwocky.com
Tue Jul 2 22:59:02 CEST 2002

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 07:46:27PM +0000, Brian M. Carlson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 11:53:51PM -0400, David Shaw wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 11:30:58PM +0000, Brian M. Carlson wrote:
> > > I have compiled the skipjack and idea modules (I'm not planning on using
> > > them, I just compiled them; I'm doing work with dynamic loading) and ran
> > > the following command line:
> > > bmc at stonewall:/tmp$ gpg --disable-cipher-algo IDEA --load-extension
> > > ./skipjack --load-extension ./idea --version
> >
> > Try this:
> >
> > gpg --load-extension ./skipjack --load-extension ./idea --disable-cipher-algo IDEA --version
> >
> > This is the same command line with the --disable-cipher-algo placed
> > after the --load-extension.
>
> Ok. I think that the order of command line arguments should not matter,
> and that a command line argument directed toward on algo should not
> affect another.
>
> There's also a slight problem that if you have the line
> "disable-cipher-algo IDEA" in your options file like I do, then neither
> extension will load.

Yes.  Basically, load-extension adds each extension to a list and the
first use of the list causes them all to be loaded.
--disable-cipher-algo causes the load, so load-extension after that
won't be loaded.  (Not saying it's right - just saying that's how it
works).

> BTW, wasn't there a disable-digest-algo option at some time in the past?
> It doesn't exist now. There's only pubkey and cipher. I'm only asking
> about it's status.

I don't think so.  Disabling algorithms is in general a bad idea.
There are better solutions to the general "I don't want to use
algorithm X" problem.

David

--
   David Shaw  |  dshaw at jabberwocky.com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/