gpgme license

Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo jose at jaimedelamo.eu.org
Thu Jul 25 01:25:01 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 12:57:22PM -0400, Niels Provos wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 04:24:48PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> > What you call freedom is really only the power to restrict the freedom of
> > others.  The GPL provides a balance between freedom and power.  It exercises
> > some of its power under copyright law to restrict other people, yes, but
> > this is necessary so that those other people can not take away the freedom
> > from everybody else.
> I suggest that you suspend your freedom ideology for a moment.  It is
> well understood that the GPL is a more restrictive license than a BSD
> license.  And no rhetoric about what you perceive as freedom is going
> to change that.  Unfortunately, you are completely missing the point
> about Marius' request.
>
> He would like to link his BSD-licensed code against gpgme.  As gpgme
> is GPL, that would make his code automatically GPL, too.  As a result,

   As far as I know that's not true. His code will still be under BSD,
   and could be taken by whoever wants and make a commercial program of
   it. The only thing he could not do commercial is the part that uses
   gpgme. I don't see any problem here. Which advantage will I get of
   GiveMeMoney, Inc. taking his code and making a program with it?

--
  Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo
     jsogo at debian.org