gpgme license

Marcus Brinkmann Marcus.Brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Thu Jul 25 18:28:02 CEST 2002

On Thu, Jul 25, 2002 at 12:26:08AM +0200, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
>    As far as I know that's not true. His code will still be under BSD,
>    and could be taken by whoever wants and make a commercial program of
>    it. The only thing he could not do commercial is the part that uses
>    gpgme. I don't see any problem here. Which advantage will I get of
>    GiveMeMoney, Inc. taking his code and making a program with it?

There is no problem with making money out of other people's GPL'ed code.
Please don't use the word commercial but the term proprietary to separate
a free software company from a proprietary software company (and you might
use GiveMePower for GiveMeMoney ;)

With this correction, yes, you are right.  The original code is still under
whatever licenses the author chooses.  The GPL never has any effect on other
people's independent works, only on combined, derived works.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' GNU      http://www.gnu.org    marcus at gnu.org