email check not rfc 822 compliant

5468696A6D656E thijmen at xs4all.nl
Sun Nov 17 16:23:02 CET 2002

On Sun, Nov 17, 2002 at 01:06:14PM +0000, Matthew Byng-Maddick wrote:
> > The email check is not fully rfc 822 compliant.
>
> RFC0822 is obsoleted by RFC2822.
Didn't know that, thanx for the tip.

> Quoted strings in email addresses are just a recipe for interoperability
> disaster, anyway. I know they're valid, but IME enough people don't bother
> implementing them that you will run into weird interoperability problems
> if you try and use them.

I *strongly* disagree. Any program should be loose, or non strict, on what to accept
from other programs, but should be strict on how it implements rfc's itselves.
Isn't that the first rule on working with rfc's?
For example, if i would write a http proxy, i would accept 'get' command's,
but i would write myself 'GET' commands.
If an author of a certain
program don't like certain parts of a rfc, then the only way around it
would be to create a new rfc obsoleting the previous one, (or to make a
non-rfc compliant program)

Th.

--
__Thijmen Klok________