Compiling gpgmeplug in Debian package, and libtool problem

Marcus Brinkmann Marcus.Brinkmann at ruhr-uni-bochum.de
Mon Nov 25 21:49:02 CET 2002

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 09:02:35PM +0100, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
> > > P.D: Perhaps I should write also to debian-devel, but taking into
> > > account how things are there, we could end in a flamewar trying to show
> > > that libtool sucks ;)
> >
> > Libtool is doing the right thing, the problem is the ELF standard.  Later
> > drafts have the RUNPATH concept, which replaces RPATH and has the right
> > precedence, so once we get support for that in binutils, we can rectify this
> > and other issues.
>
>    It was doing right, but not what I was telling it to do. I didn't
>   want harcoded libs in other libs, but it still did that. I had to lart
>   it hard for being able to do it ;)

Well, I didn't address your frobbing around with the libtool configuration
for a reason :)  You are not supposed to change it, and if you change it you
face and have to live with the consequences.  I totally understand the
situation, but not hardcoding the path is not an acceptable alternative
(at least in the general case) either.  The situation is really to pick
between two suboptimal "solutions".  Hardcoding the libs is the technically
correct way to do it, and as I said, the way to fix it to make it work
correctly is to make use of RUNPATH.  BTW, Alexandre Oliva is not happy
about this either, as it seems from
http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/libtool/1999-December/001089.html

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 09:00:48PM +0100, Jose Carlos Garcia Sogo wrote:
>   OH! That would be great. The security concern I had is that not
>  hardcoding in the libs the path to the gpgme libs could lead in some
>  systems to an attack based in changing LD_LIBRARY_PATH, or something
>  similar.

Well, it's not strictly an issue, as a user could only fry himself.  But it
is certainly not nice.

>   When you split it, I would like to receive a note. I can package both
>  for Debian.

Yes, I will write an announcement here on this list.

Thanks,
Marcus

--
`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' GNU      http://www.gnu.org    marcus at gnu.org