Showing fingerprint on verbose key imports

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Thu Oct 24 19:51:02 CEST 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 15:59:37 -0000, greg  said:

> I can certainly use the --status-fd 2 hack (or more than likely

This is not a hack but the documented interface to GnuPG.  We take
great care not to change this interface in an incompatible way;
whereas we might change the formatting of the other messages at any
time. The wording of some message is a security critical thing and we
sometimes need to fix them.

*Don't use the standard messages in any application where only a
machine is going to interpret them!*

The easiest way for you is to used --status-fd 2 and grep for
'^\[GNUG:\]'; it is even far easier than parsing the standard messages
- no weird quoting, all in utf-8, space separated tokes etc.

Shalom-Salam,