forcing symmetric cipher AES (7) violates recipient preferences

Larry Ellis Larry_C_Ellis at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 10 22:46:02 CEST 2002

Hello,

When using the following gpg command:

                        gpg -e --cipher aes

I receive the following warning message
                        forcing symmetric cipher AES (7) violates recipient
preferences

AES *is* in the cipher preferences for the recipient, though it is the not
the first cipher in the list (3des is the first, AES is the second).

Is it appropriate for GPG to issue this message?  It seems to me that
specifying any of the ciphers in the list is not a violation.  Also, if I
specify a cipher that is not in the list at all, then precisely the same
error message occurs.

This happens on the development release of 1.1.91 (Windows build from
nullify), though, for all I know,  it might also happen in earlier releases.