gpg asking gpg-agent for subordinate key's passphrase

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Apr 2 11:30:01 CEST 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 12:55:37 -0500, David Shaw said:

> I suppose it could be possible to pass a hint to the agent that a key
> is a subkey so it could try the passphrase for the primary key before
> asking about the subkey.

The way we use the agent with gpg is curently a hack.  The agent is
only used to invoke the pinentry and pass the user entered passphrase
back to gpg.  The real thing will ask the agent to do the sign or
decrypt operation and the agent will decide whether to ask for a
passphrase or not.

There might be a bug in the passphrase caching in the agent, though.

Salam-Shalom,

  Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of
  mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of
  destruction devised by the ingenuity of man. -Gandhi