ssh-agent type utility for gnupg

Greg Black gjb at gbch.net
Wed Feb 26 08:33:02 CET 2003

Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

| On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 04:50:39PM +1000, Greg Black wrote:
| > Is there (or are there plans for) a ssh-agent type utility for
| > gnupg?
|
| Yes!  gpg-agent is part of the newpg package, which in turn is part of the
| aegypten project (ftp.gnupg.org/gcrypt/alpha/aegypten/).  0.9.4 is the
| latest version.  nwepg is just the work name, the program inside is gpgsm.
| gpgsm and gpg-agent will be integrated back into gpg for version 2.

This is good news.

| You also need the pinentry package because the agent uses it to retrieve
| the pin.

Sadly, this is bad news -- this one does not build on FreeBSD as
it stands and now that I've spent several hours jumping through
hoops in vain attempts to get it sorted out, I'm going to forget
about it.

| This work will be completely integrated in GnuPG in version 2.

I hope the portability problems will be fixed before that
happens -- I'd hate to see GnuPG itself broken.

Thanks for the information.

Greg